Saturday, May 31, 2008

Sense of respect

Had a case presentation session with a doctor. There were a few interruptions of the medical officers (MO) since he had just come back from a long leave and needed to make things clear. MOs were supposed to report to him regarding patients' conditions and problems.
.
Heard of a rumour that this doctor is way too "strict" to MOs and HOs (house officers) until I saw it with my own eyes and confirmed it. The poor MOs were standing in the midst of us, medical students, being yelled and commanded at. The doctor was too, cracking sarcastic joke there after which to me, was not funny at all. I would say, with words that hurt, with his expression that insulted. The MOs could do nothing but stood and nodded helplessly.
.
Was thinking to myself, what if that happens to me in the future? I guess I will hold back tears, take deep breath, obey and nod too. Is it not the way responding to superior? It hurts. Even if one's work done is not satisfying, I wonder if there is a more constructing way to correct or request.
.
I did not enjoy the learning session. Perhaps I had prejudice towards that particular doctor. I apologize for being too jugdemental at times. Okay, had enough ranting. Last word, treat people as the way you want to be treated.

3 comments:

Pauline Pan said...

Treat people as the way you want to be treated.

I totally agree with this...I always reminds myself bout this also.

Cheer up ya :)

YY Ong LTR! said...

aiyo who is tat... as far as I know, all specilists are baik baik le in your posting... haha

Ching Mun said...

YY, baik to students I agree, but not to MOs and HOs la.