Monday, May 19, 2008

GP posting, done!

General practitioner (GP) may be what I'll end up to be one day. I'm glad to have completed the one week attachment in a clinic near my house. Thanks to Dr. Tan, who was willing to share his experience of being a GP for more than 20 years with me despite his hectic patient flow. I gained a lot, in term of medical knowledges as well as the ethical and social issues.
.
A GP can be equated to a bussinessman plus a doctor. It takes skills to manage administrations, budgeting consultation fees and medications for different individuals. Patients can present with any complaint ranging from a massive bleeding hand, loss of consciousness to symptoms of all possible systems of the body.
.
Am I ready for questions posted by patients pointing at any part of their bodies?
.
The fun of attaching a familiar place was, seeing a lot of familiar faces. I met 3 ex-schoolmates in 2 days. Most of them had forgotten who I am and too bad didn't manage to talk to them. Could also recognize the green grocer from the nearby market and the pan mee sellor. The first question most patients were asking the doctor was: "Your daughter ah?"
.
All in all, I had a good time though I was expecting a more relaxing week. The long working hours consumed most of my time and what I was left with was only time to sleep. And now, GP posting done! Here comes report... I need my discipline back!
.

4 comments:

Pauline Pan said...

hey...u really look cool with ur uniform eh...

mmm...RESPECT this doctor to be oh ~

Ching Mun said...

Haha. Thank you. Soon to be, hopefully :)

Anonymous said...

LOL... Must be ZA DAO when ur schoolmates couldnt recognize u. Unless u really trasnformed a lot a lot...

Ching Mun said...

The primary schoolmate was forgivable since I was with her only for standard 1 & 2. The rest of them, not sure if they were shy in the consultation room or I was :p Nobody initiated "Hi".