| I have special fond towards senior citizens compares to kids. Conversing to them needs extra effort to hear or comprehend but I enjoy listening to their life experiences and thoughts sharing. Geriatric is a study of elderly ages 65 and above. Studies show 20% of them suffer from mild to severe dementia by which 15% of them developing depression there after. My very limited exposure to geriatric psychiatry was like an arm chair strategy where we picked cases and discussed about the plan of management but unfortunately not many of them were being treated in reality. People perceive it as a normal aging process and many a times they are being neglected. Having lost memory and ability to take care of themselves, they are helpless and feel very much a burden to their family members. The few persons I encountered have lost hope to carry on life. They pass time purposelessly and do not wish to live any longer. “家有一老,如有一宝” (Having an elderly at home is a treasure of a family). How far are we still practicing this? How much are they being treasured as somebody significant in our society nowadays? Have we given our best concern to our dear ones at home? An ex-drugs addict in his 60s, bachelor, homeless, was tearful talking about how much guilt he has looking back his life. He feels worthless. The clerking stopped as I reminded him of his bad experiences. How I wish I could share with him the peace I own, the hope that carries me through. When everything else fails, life is still worth living for my hope is set on You. Thank You Lord, for being my greatest strength to move on. |
Monday, June 23, 2008
Geriatric psychiatry
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
hey.. i found another geriatrics lover! haha! i chose geriatrics as my sem 8 selective and i really enjoyed dealing with the elderly.. enjoyed the home visits even more! :)
take care!
Give me five! I made some inofficial visits too but hoping to bring more cheers to my own grandparents.
Take care :)
Post a Comment