Thursday, March 20, 2008

Friendship forever

As I was younger, I used to write autograph during those school leaving days. The phrase “friendship forever” is one of the commonly used. It innocently expressed my desire of wanting to befriend somebody till forever. As I grew I began to use it less and less. Rather it is replaced by barely “keep it touch”. The definition of “friendship forever” changes with time as I move from place to place.

Having stayed away from home for a while, this home coming made me realized the friendships that I thought could last forever extinguished by distance, busy schedules or getting attached to another half. The quality of the friendship is no longer the same. We couldn’t share our lives as much as we used to. Words have no chance to be spoken, emotions left unwinded. We are no longer transparent to one another. Knowing 天下无不散之宴席 (there’s never a feast but the guests have to depart), I feel sad on losing the intimacy we used to have.

Life consists of many transition phases. Each phase brings about new people or new environment. God must have been testing my ability to adapt. The next transition might be just around the corner. I am uncertain whether the friendships I own at this moment will last forever. At least there is something I can do for sure, is to treasure you for whom you are for now.

Thanks for being a part of my life, my friends. Do keep in touch always!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya, I feel the same.
Recently I also wrote a similar account in my blog, with the title of "friendship pyramid".
Guess that summarized my attitudes towards friendship.
My attitude towards friendship doesnt change much from past til now.
I feel lucky for being able to find good pals in uni.
Good pals are not easy to find.
CHERISH! :-)
Enjoy elective and selective :-)

Ching Mun said...

Yes Chee Koon, read your post too. Very much agree. People come, people go. Cherish the coming, remember the going.

"Good pals are not easy to find."
Can't agree more.

Ken said...

I'm sure this post will trigger similar feelings in a lot of readers. I used to do the same thing as well.

But I guess we're all naive once. Anyway currently I try to stay in touch with those that I've managed to develop a close relationship with.
The most important fact I've found out is that relationships are a 2-sided thing. Both parties need to have a hand in keeping it alive or else no matter how close they were before, that relationship can just crumble.

And while your second paragraph has some truths I cannot agree (from my own experiences that is) with most of it.

I truly believe that if 2 people want a relationship to work, nothing will get in the way of it.
Wishful thinking maybe, but it never hurts to have hope :)

Ching Mun said...

Hey Ken, thanks for commenting.

Yes, it takes both hands to clap. Extra efforts from both parties are needed to maintain a friendship. I guess priorities start to change when people have been through different phases of life. The amount of time allocated for a person wouldn't be the same again due to the limiting factors, so as the quality of the friendship.

A genuine two sided relationship is hard to find, but I still believe it does exist :)

Anonymous said...

relationship involve both parties. for me, the quality of the friendship still remain the same, intimacy remain although we might not have met in ages, until i was disappointed again and again. i realise i'm probably not of the 'normal' type since for most people, if not all, friendship quality diminishes with whatever outward situation is there to distract us. let's just assume i'm the unrealistic type, sigh! so, somehow i accept the fact and become more reserved in friendship in the past three years, maybe a form of self-protection. oh well!

weird as it may seem, but i've written a post on friendship forever too!

Ching Mun said...

Cindy,
There you are not the only unrealistic type. Real life experiences taught me a lesson on friendship. It has been the norm but still we have to live with somebody called "friend". Let's treasure the "transient" friendships that we have at hand before it gets diminished gradually with time. Even if it does, a word or two from a friend who's far from me enough to let me know that I'm not forgotten at least. So as you :)

Read your post, rather nostalgic huh. "Cherish the coming, remember the going." Take care my friend!

lupdup said...

Which is why they say, "Friends come and go, enemies accumulate".