Friday, June 12, 2009

The angel smiles

He smiles, so wide and sun-shinny. A 9-year-old boy came tightly held by his mother in his broad based gait. I attempted rapport building. He spurted me saliva all over. He has Angelman syndrome with most of the following features:

Consistent (100%)

  • Developmental delay, functionally severe
  • Speech impairment, none or minimal use of words; receptive and non-verbal communication skills higher than verbal ones
  • Movement or balance disorder, usually ataxia of gait and/or tremulous movement of limbs
  • Behavioral uniqueness: any combination of frequent laughter/smiling; apparent happy demeanor; easily excitable personality, often with hand flapping movements; hypermotoric behavior; short attention span

Frequent (more than 80%)

  • Delayed, disproportionate growth in head circumference, usually resulting in microcephaly (absolute or relative) by age 2
  • Seizures, onset usually less than 3 years of age
  • Abnormal EEG, characteristic pattern with large amplitude slow-spike waves

Associated (20 - 80%)

  • Strabismus
  • Hypopigmented skin and eyes
  • Tongue thrusting; suck/swallowing disorders
  • Hyperactive tendon reflexes
  • Feeding problems during infancy
  • Uplifted, flexed arms during walking
  • Prominent mandible
  • Increased sensitivity to heat
  • Wide mouth, wide-spaced teeth
  • Sleep disturbance
  • Frequent drooling, protruding tongue
  • Attraction to/fascination with water
  • Excessive chewing/mouthing behaviors
  • Flat back of head
Half way through history taking, again he spurted me saliva.

"Don't play with saliva."
I said, not knowing earlier that impaired swallowing mechanism and saliva drooling are the features. Mother warned him by a gentle slap on his lips. He was still smiling. Happily and contented.

He is the only child. The diagnosis was certainly life changing to the family. To expect a child is joyous, but who would anticipate a needful kid? I saw his mother teaching him patiently. I noticed the mother's cross pendant. I saw motherly love.

They stepped out the clinic meeting his father. The touch his dad offered was tender. The whole family walked away with much laughter. Staring at their shadows, I am glad for such loving and supportive family. He remains the angel of the family despite being a little extraordinary.

His smile will stay with me vividly. It is indeed the happiest disease I have ever seen. Hope my ignorance was forgiven.

So smile back if somebody is smiling at you. It may be the only way he communicates.

No comments: