Friday, August 22, 2008

Accident and Emergency

In my 2 weeks rotation of a brief exposure to Accident and Emergency, there's this patient I'll not able to forget.

A 43-year-old single mother who was brought in unconscious sustained from skull fracture with visualized brain matter crushed into pieces by axe, multiple strikes. Pupil was dilated unilaterally, non-reactive with a Glascow coma scale of 3. She was massively stained with blood. A few of us approached and did the basic life supports as we could.

By turns, I was bagging the resuscitation mask and cleaning off the blood stain on the patient. She had got a slash on her face too. And what shocked me was, the flesh of her tip of nose could flap open upon a wipe. Gosh, how to treat her? Is there any way the brain matter can be patched back? Pressing on her nose, I could only say a prayer.

Unfortunately, miracle did not take place. She passed away on the same day of admission after an 18 hours strive. I felt sad. Not solely on her decease, but for her daughter who is not able to experience mother's love again. Sad for the action of human being which was so cruel and irrational. It's a human's head, not a pumpkin! How could one able to lay an axe on it without giving a second thought! And the murderer who robbed was her very own lover!

For the news article, click here.

Another young chap, brought in unconscious. I gave few taps on his arm routinely, calling "Encik, encik". He was unresponsive. Without safety precaution of wearing gloove, I removed his jacket by which I found my hand was blood stained before I ran to get gloove. All tools to set line were ready. The cardiac monitor showed a flat line. Yes he was pulseless, his chest wasn't expanding. Unknowingly, I was actually dealing with a dead body.

Accident and Emergency department isn't as dramatic as those seen in the television, but everything done needs to be fast and precise! The rate of patients wheeling in and out is fast too. Same goes to the speed of one's heart stop beating.

I see how fragile life is.

3 comments:

Pauline Pan said...

Oh gosh .... speechless ~

How I wish I can help out with my little 1st aid knowledge & experience

Ching Mun said...

Too bad the injury couldn't be helped :(

Kiwi-Bird said...

Eh, good post!!! It's all the facts of life!